SCA A&S 50th Anniversary Project: Boy’s Sleeveless Tunic

I got another piece of garb done for the significant other’s son today. I used the same pattern I created for the long-sleeved tunic, but I changed the sleeve and the neck significantly. I am actually pretty happy with how it turned out!

Image

Projects always seem to take on a life of their own with me. I can’t seem to keep something simple. One of the things I did with this piece of garb was make my own hand-made frog closures. (The ones at Hancock Fabrics and JoAnn’s Fabrics were $5.00 apiece). Not only did I make the frogs, but we made the kumihimo cord the frogs were made from. The directions to make the frog closures are here: http://perfectpatterns.tripod.com/frogs.html.

Image

And as if making the frogs weren’t enough, I felt a need to “fancy up” the collar line. I made a thicker collar piece on this one, because I didn’t care for the skinny collar.The collar on the 1st boy’s tunic was so thin, it was hard to work with.  I used a blackwork pattern, but used green thread in a similar shade to that of the material for the rest of the tunic. Unfortunately, I am not crazy about it, after I finished it:

Image

And finally, just to drag this project out a little longer, I decided plain sleeves would never do. Fortunately, I had some wonderful black trim that I inherited from the rental house. This is my favorite part of this tunic.

Image

I was going to make a tutorial for this tunic, but I haven’t been able to pigeon-hole it to a specific time frame, with primary sources. I don’t really have sound historical documentation for it. It’s mostly of my own design, and I didn’t want to make a tutorial that someone might replicate, and not be able to document. Everything I used to put this outfit together came from my stash, except for the snaps I put down the front opening (the frogs are purely decorative) so 9-year-old hands can get it on easily. That made my budget for this piece of garb $2.29!

Make sure you come back later, because tomorrow I will be trying another gluten-free bread recipe, and we will start a new piece of garb on Monday. I promise a tutorial for this one!

Sweet Dreams,

Oma & the 2 Crazy Dogs

A&S 50th Year Anniversary Project: Child’s Tunic

I started this project because Jerry’s son may be able to go with us to Gulf Wars next month, and he has outgrown all his current garb. (Which consisted of 1 tunic Jerry’s ex-gf made for him, like 3 years ago.) The kiddo needs clothes! I finished this in less than two days. However, I may go back and make changes to it later. I planned the pattern based on the idea that he will grow, so it has an extra 3 inches in both the length and the arm length, and 5 inches of wearing ease throughout. In retrospect, I think I should have given it up to 7 inches of ease, but that is a lesson for next time. I was so excited to sew something that wouldn’t take a year to finish! I started this the day after I finished the epic crazy quilt, and was completely done before I realized I hadn’t taken any pictures of the process. So here is the end result:

Image

 

I am horrible at taking pictures! LOL The neck trim came from the stuff I inherited from the rental house. The pine tree is Jerry’s symbol for his heraldry, and this is made to match Jerry’s parti-colored tunic, of which you can see some in the background. The underarm gusset on the left side is sort of poofy, so I may rework it later. After this picture was taken, I made a hand-made button and loop to keep the neck closed. (They tell me safety pins aren’t period…) All of this tunic was done from my stockpile of fabrics and stuff so the budget for this tunic was $00.00 right now!