Other Current Projects

It’s amazing how many things need to be done, when you move into a new home! In addition to working on my rush project, these little tidbits have been keeping me busy, too.

Image

 

I made curtains for the room Princess Chaos, and my significant others’ son will use when they visit. Curtains are simple. Run a few hems, and run a pocket for the curtain rod. I was searching for a theme that would be appropriate for both a boy and a girl, as they will use the room at different times, and “maps” struck me as both colorful and educational. This one depicts the United States.

Image

This is the second, larger window in the kids room. They have a flag of the world. The curtains took me roughly an hour.

Image

I can never make this curtain turn the right way, for some reason. It’s for my carport door, and I made it from a pillowcase I found at Goodwill for $1.49. I didn’t even have to put a hem in this one! I love the shiny focal points! This took me about 15 minutes to string up. Simple, budget-friendly, and blingy! What more can a girl ask for?

Image

This has been my other major project this week. When we moved into this house, the previous tenants left behind this much-abused dresser. We’ve been desperately in need of a dresser for a while, so I decided to give it some love. I started out sanding it. This picture was taken about 10 minutes in, and sanding it took a couple of hours.

Image

I wasn’t really sure or satisfied the paint would stick after sanding it, so I decided to use a commercial stripper, It took three coats to get all the paint off, and the better part of two days to finish stripping it. (Word to the wise: If you are stripping a piece of furniture, don’t waste time and money with a spray-on stripper. I got next to zero results until I started using a brush-on stripper.) Project cost, so far: $25. Time cost, 2.5 days.

Image

This is the dresser after two coats of primer. The primer had to dry for 24 hours, before the regular paint could be applied. Needless to say, at this point in the project we began experiencing some “weather.” I am waiting for it to stop raining so I can do a light sanding, and add the last 2 coats of paint. Maybe tomorrow?

The next couple of days will find me finishing up the embroidered squares for the “Crazy Quilt” (not sure if its the quilt or me that’s crazy, at this point in the project…) and travelling North to visit the kids and pick up a load of furniture we left there, for the new house. I can’t wait to have furniture, and pots and pans, and stuff!!!!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s